Makes 8 servings
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 small yellow onions, peeled and sliced
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) dry white wine
- 1 (8 oz/226 g) wheel of Schloss cheese
- Fresh thyme
- 1 baguette, sliced
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Once melted, add the onion, salt, and black pepper and cook until starting to soften, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the wine and cook until the liquid is evaporated and the onions are softened but not yet starting to caramelize, about 6 to 8 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350F. Remove the Schloss from its plastic packaging and place it into the wooden box it came in; place this on a baking tray. Bake until the cheese starts to bubble around the outside, about 12 minutes.
- To serve, add a sprinkle of fresh thyme leaves to the top of the onions. Serve the cheese and onions along with sliced baguette.
By Faith Gorsky, www.AnEdibleMosaic.com